Quick Answer: Is It Safe To Drink Untreated Well Water?

How often should you check your well water?

once per yearPrivate well water should be tested a minimum of once per year.

Drinking water supplies obtained from shallow wells and surface water sources should be tested more frequently (i.e.

seasonally), as they are more susceptible to contamination.

It is important to test your drinking water at the tap and at the source..

Can you get parasites from drinking well water?

Swallowing contaminated water The most common way to become infected with giardia is after swallowing unsafe (contaminated) water. Giardia parasites are found in lakes, ponds, rivers and streams worldwide, as well as in public water supplies, wells, cisterns, swimming pools, water parks and spas.

How do you get bacteria out of your well water?

Page 1Chlorination is the process of treating (disinfecting) a well and plumbing system with chlorine to kill or reduce certain kinds of bacteria. … Full Chlorination.The Full Chlorination method kills bacteria that may be present in wells, plumbing systems and in the aquifer surrounding the well.More items…

Is it safe to drink water from a well?

Yes, as a private well owner, you are responsible for testing your well to ensure the water is safe to drink. EPA is responsible for making sure that the public water supply within the United States is safe. However, EPA does not monitor or treat private well drinking water.

What happens if you drink untreated water?

Untreated water may contain any number of contaminants, such as: bacteria, viruses, parasites, heavy metals, pesticides, fertilizers, and human and animal waste. These contaminants are rarely visible to the naked eye and may cause a variety of ailments, including: diarrhea, stomach cramps, vomiting and even pneumonia.

What diseases can you get from well water?

Top Causes of Outbreaks in Wells*Hepatitis A.Giardia.Campylobacter, E. coli (tie)Shigella.Cryptosporidium, Salmonella (tie)Arsenic, Gasoline, Nitrate, Phenol, Selenium (tie)

Which is better well water or city water?

Well water typically tastes better due to the lack of added chemicals (ask anyone). Public water is treated with chlorine, fluoride, and other harsh and dangerous chemicals. Well water travels straight up from the ground; you get all the health benefits of clean water with none of the harsh chemical additives.

What happens if you drink well water?

Once taken into the body, nitrates are converted into nitrites. High levels of nitrate and nitrite are most serious for infants. High levels of nitrate/nitrite in drinking water can cause methemoglobinemia or “blue baby syndrome”. These substances reduce the blood’s ability to carry oxygen.

Does well water need to be filtered?

Well water almost always requires some softening and filtration to make it ideal for drinking, cooking, and cleaning.

Can you drink well water if you boil it?

Boiling. If you don’t have safe bottled water, you should boil your water to make it safe to drink. Boiling is the surest method to kill disease-causing organisms, including viruses, bacteria, and parasites.

Can you get sick from drinking well water?

Can bacteria in well water make you sick? yes, household well water that is contaminated likely holds coliform bacteria and E-coli. These microorganisms can be the cause of enteric diseases.

How do I know if my well water is contaminated?

Smell Signs to Look Out For One of the easiest ways to determine if your water is contaminated is by the smell of rotten eggs. A rotten egg smell points to sulfur bacteria or hydrogen sulfide gas in your water. Sulfur bacteria are naturally occurring.